Friday, January 23, 2015

2 problems and an admittance‏


1. The problem with Guardians of the Galaxy (movie)

Now, don't get me wrong; I liked this movie. It is what I call a "very good movie". But it left me wanting more, so much more. And I don't mean that in a "I-demand-a-sequel-right-away" type of way.

Actually, I watched the movie in the theater, and kept waiting to see something NEW. I wanted to see, on the big screen, something exciting, whether action sequence or something comedic, something that I had not already seen in a preview or commercial.

And therein lies the problem for me. The movie was overhyped. In the end, they showed Every Single good part of the movie, in previews and clips and commercials, long before the movie came out. I left the theater, feeling underwhelmed, and a bit cheated. Deja Vu; like I had seen almost every portion of the movie, already. It wasn't hard to guess what came next while watching. After all, hadn't I already seen all of the good parts? Unfortunately, for me, the answer was a resounding "Yes".


2. The problem with Batman

I am actually looking forward to Ben Affleck as Batman. I don't have a problem with the choice of actors, per se. I liked Affleck as Daredevil, and thought the movie was pretty decent.

Here's my issue; Affleck is, what? In his, forties, now?

For me, a proper Batman should be about 25 years old
I see Bruce Wayne as having been affected by his parents' death as a child, harbouring ill feelings and making dark plans as a teenager while he worked on his physical status ( upping his compete level to Olympic proportions). As a young man of 18, with his parents' fortune now in his hands, he would have found the bat cave, and begun to remodel that, as well as using his funds to, well, 'fund' his marvelous bat-things. And, at 25, he should be now fairly-well-established in both roles, as a fledgling Caped Crusader, as well as the young debonair philanthropist playboy Wayne.

So, how come we never get a Batman actor who is the right age?

One thing I WILL say, however; good riddance to the last incarnation of Batman - the only good thing about that franchise, was the now-deceased Heath Ledger's seminal turn as The Joker.


3. I admit it; I am back purchasing a few Marvel comics monthly.

Recently, I picked up Nightcrawler # 8 and read it. The character was handled in a great way by Chris Claremont, a master of writing skill, enough so that I checked out the back catalogue of issues, and then contacted my LCS and requested Nightcrawler be added to my pull list. Marvel, THIS is the way ALL your comics should be written, like the writer actually cares about the character and wants to share him with us!

I also enjoyed Death of Wolverine: The Weapon X Program mini-series, enough so that I have decided to give the new series "The Wolverines" a trial run. Not sure who is writing it, or if I will enjoy it, but I did enjoy the Weapon X characters depicted in the mini; they reminded me, a bit, of Marvel's New Universe DP7 series.
Alright, that is all that I have to say for now! 



 

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home